01 July 2009

1st Cycle - 1st Appointment

What can I say? It went great! We got nothing but good news today.

All testing thus far has had amazing results. My ultrasound showed that my larger cysts are no longer there. There are a few follicles but nothing to be too terribly concerned about. I also had some blood work done which I think is just procedure to check everything out.. no word on that yet.

I love my husband! To see the excitement in his face is a blessing within itself. It seems like it takes nothing to get me excited or entertained while he is more the reserved and realistic one. Today the roles were definitely switched. Where as I was a little nervous and not wanting to get my hopes up, he was like the 5 year old about to walk in to the candy store. He was laughing and talking to the nurse and just asking Mrs. Terri all these questions.

During my ultrasound, she was showing him all of my "parts" on the screen and he was just so interested. When Mrs. Terri left the room, he gave me a kiss and made a statement (that I won't repeat) basically reassuring his excitement. It meant so much to me.

I got side-tracked and forgot to ask some of the questions but she basically told me that I need to act as normal as possible. She warned Bryan that the Clomid may make me a little irritable and I may get hot flashes from time to time. I can do anything physically that I've always done. She reassured me that the miscarriage from the honeymoon was not because I killed the baby but more of a chromosomal defect with the baby.. which is the cause of most miscarriages.

Mrs. Terri reminded us to be realistic in knowing that this may not work the first month but also gave us a lot of hope and words of wisdom to just have fun with the whole experience.

She said that some women with PCOS do not react at all to Clomid and some produce way too many follicles. Our goal is to have just one healthy baby to have as normal of a pregnancy as possible. If I produce too many follicles or I have no reaction to the Clomid then they will stop the cycle and change the treatment. They will never go 3 months on the same cycle that's not working.. whether it be to increase the dosage or change the method of ovulation and pregnancy.

NOTE: The chance for twins on Clomid is 10% and the chance for triplets is less than 1%. Somewhere between 40% and 80% of patients taking Clomid will have success in creating ovulation. However, this does not guarantee a successful conception.

As for more to come, I will start taking the Clomid in 2 days on the 3rd. My other appointments will basically be like today (an ultrasound and bloodwork) and possibly an FSH injection to help.

Again, thank you for all of your prayers and words of encouragement. It warms my heart everytime I get an email or a phone call and people say, "we're keeping our fingers crossed for ya" or "you're in our prayers" or something as simple as "good luck." It means so much to us.

No comments: