19 August 2009

2nd Cycle - 2nd Appointment

Mrs. Terri told us that she wasn't too sure that this was going to be our month either. She spoke of how we are only in the "baby steps" of this whole process and it will take a lot more time. She said that if I were not pregnant in the next 6 months, she would not be too concerned because it just takes that long most of the time.

Here are some of the questions and answers we went over today. Questions by me, answers by Mrs. Terri.

Q: What are my chances of getting pregnant when I start to ovulate?
A: Well, 50% of regular fertile women who ovulate after 3 months, normally get pregnant. That leaves another 50% out there that get pregnant right away, not at all, or after 3 months.

Q: If I produce too many follicles at ovulation then they will stop the cycle to avoid having multiples since this would be my first child/children to have as normal of a pregnancy as possible. What is considered too many for you to stop the cycle? Because I would rather have 10 then none at this point and if it's a matter of twins, I would hate to stop the cycle if a successful pregnancy is possible.
A: I wouldn't feel comfortable going forth with a cycle if I saw that you have produced more than 5 mature eggs. At my age, if I produced 5 eggs, half of them are probably crap anyway, but if you produced 5 or more eggs, you could possibly have that many children. As long as I've been doing this though, I've only had one case where a woman actually got pregnant with more than 3 at a time.

Q: Just out of curiosity, how much does IVF cost?
A: Right around $7,500 excluding medications that go with it and no guarantee of success on the first try.

Q: If the only way to treat PCOS is with either a birth control pill (or patch) or with an ovulation inducing drug (fertility pills), then how will I ever get pregnant on my own without either one?
A: You won't. Some women who choose to not take either one, extreme diet and excercise has been known to reverse the endocrine problem and cause ovulation. Even in that situation, you should still be taking Provera to be able to bleed since PCOS (inovulatory) women do not get regular periods.

Now for those of you who don't have or understand PCOS, without treatment for the syndrome, testosterone levels increase, progesterone levels go down and that's when the hormonal imbalance takes place. Now if I were to go without a treatment (I've been on birth control since I was 15.), then I would start gaining more weight and probably have to start shaving my face. :) That's not something that I wish on anyone.. female anyway.

So, our next appointment has been changed from this Friday to Monday because she said that if I responded this month, it may be a slow response. I know my God is awesome though so we shall see. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

All About Me said...

I just started the flew plan and it was $234 for 20 breakfast, 20 lunch, 20 dinner and 20 desserts. I haven't had much time to try ALL The food but the food I have tried isn't really that bad. I'm just hoping it will help me get my baby bean! ;0)